Why flexible PCB and HDI PCB are inseparable from the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) has been around for some time and has become more prominent over time. According to the statistical budget, there will be more than 26 billion devices connected to the Internet in 2021. Many of these devices will require unique PCBs to operate. For example, wearable devices such as fitness trackers may require dense components placed on the PCB to resist regular bending and dynamic stress. Taking all these factors into consideration, PCB manufacturers design HDI PCB and flexible PCB to meet specific needs. Do you want to know how these PCBs drive IoT devices?
IoT and flexible PCB
Nowadays, flexible PCB are becoming the preferred solution for all these applications where traditional solutions cannot be used. There are many features that make flexible PCBs ideal for IoT applications.
- Compact size and flexibility: Most IoT devices have eye-catching contours and curves, and they also have excellent electrical and mechanical characteristics. These eye-catching devices have complicated designs due to their irregular shapes. These irregular shapes require the use of small PCB packages, and this is where flexible circuit boards can really help. The flexible circuit board can be easily placed in a narrow space, and can be easily folded to an irregularly designed corner, thus forming a compact package. However, a rigid PCB requires more space, which also hinders the freedom of design and may not be ideal for product designers. Flexible PCB are ideal for fitness trackers, microphones, and batteries because they allow components to fit in small packages and also improve their performance.
- Light weight: light weight, strong flexibility, and small space occupation. It can be seen that the flexible PCB can reduce the weight of the application by nearly 95%. This is because the flexible circuit is made of the thinnest substrate, which reduces the weight of the package. This lightweight design makes IoT devices ideal for all types of environments and applications, such as wearable hearing aids and surgical equipment.
- Reliability and durability: Flexible PCBs can be easily bent up to 500 million times in IoT applications with multiple moving parts. In an industrial environment, the demand for PCB-driven IoT devices is growing because flexible PCBs can easily withstand harsh conditions. Most of the time, these PCBs are made of polyimide, and polyimide is known for its excellent thermal stability. Likewise, this thermal stability of the material ensures a solid foundation for surface mount components. Nowadays, flexible PCBs are widely used in fitness trackers because they can easily resist moisture, body heat and regular exercise.
- Simplify wiring: flexible circuit boards were originally designed to replace large-size wiring harnesses. These circuit boards do not use mechanical connectors and also eliminate the costs associated with wiring, soldering and wrapping wires. In these PCBs, the interconnection system is installed as a complete unit. Moreover, every time it needs to be replaced, the entire system is replaced instead of a single component. This helps minimize wiring errors.
- High-density design: The thinnest substrate used in these circuit boards allows for narrow lines, so more components can be mounted on the circuit board. This helps IoT PCB designers meet the requirements of high-density design. The streamlined design of the flexible PCB helps to improve the airflow through the circuit board.
HDI PCB and its role in IoT devices
Today, IoT OEMs are benefiting from the following aspects of HDI PCB:
- Dense circuits: As the name suggests, these printed circuit boards are known for their dense component placement. Stacked microvias, small trace width and excellent wiring density help to save space on the circuit board. These compact circuit boards are finding applications in a large number of micro IoT devices.
- Excellent electrical performance: HDI PCB uses through holes and blind holes in the pad, which can be placed close to each other. Since these components require shorter wire lengths, their transmission range will be reduced. This reduces cross delay and transmission time, and improves signal strength. These PCBs have extremely low power requirements, making them ideal for smaller wearable products.
- Design flexibility: HDI PCB allows designers to use small components on smaller boards, maybe they can use double-sided on these boards.
- Simplified circuit wiring: Blind holes, blind holes and vias used on printed circuit boards provide clearer and cleaner wiring options. Today, designers use microvias instead of vias to enhance the signal integrity of these PCBs. These micro vias also help reduce the number of signal layers and their corresponding reference planes. The reliable performance provided by HDI PCB in a compact space makes it an ideal choice for IoT devices.
- Improved channel routing width: The microvia used in HDI PCB has a smaller pad size, which helps to improve the routing width of the channel.
- Improved service life: As the components are placed closer to each other, the distance of heat transmission is reduced and the heat dissipation is faster. This means that HDI PCB will not withstand high stress thermal expansion, which helps to extend its service life.
- Excellent cost-effectiveness: This is a combination of all the above factors. Density circuit board design, high energy efficiency and reduced delamination are some of the features that enable PCB manufacturers to achieve cost-effective design of these PCBs.
The factors discussed above will help you understand how HDI boards enable IoT device manufacturers to improve reliability, profitability and market share. As mentioned earlier, unless you contact a trusted and experienced HDI manufacturer, these circuits have denser configurations, which is difficult to achieve.
POE is one of the word's top PCB board turnkey PCB assembly manufacturer. We are the world leading EMS PCB manufacturer specialize in printed circuit board,PCB assembly, PCB/PCBA prototype in China. With many years of experience in electronic processing, as well as advanced production equipment and a complete after-sales service system, we can provide you with high-quality electronic processing services.