What is Flexible PCB?
Flexible printed circuit boards, also called Flexible PCBs or Flex PCBs.
They are constructed from flexible, high-performance plastic material.Flexible PCB that can be bent or twisted without damaging the circuit.This flexibility allows them to be used in a wide range of applications.
What are the advantages of flexible PCB?
Flexible printed circuit boards are printed circuits made of flexible insulating substrates, and have many advantages that rigid printed circuit boards do not have:
• Small space and light weight: Compared with rigid PCB, flexible PCB can reduce the space by more than 50% and reduce the weight by 95%, while maintaining the function and reliability of the circuit.
• Strong flexibility: It is very flexible, can be bent, wound, and folded freely, can better resist vibration and movement, can be arranged according to the space layout requirements, and can move and expand in three-dimensional space, so as to achieve component assembly Integration with wire connection.
• Large scope of application: It can be designed to allow the circuit board to be bent into the required suitable shape, and the flexible circuit can be installed in a narrow space.
• Can be used in harsh environments: Special materials can be used to withstand harsh environments. These materials can be waterproof, shockproof, moisture-proof and even corrosion-resistant. It is widely used in military and medical applications because of its toughness and durability. The natural flexibility of the board can also better absorb shocks and shocks.
• Better thermal management: Flexible circuit boards are made of polyimide, which has excellent thermal stability, can withstand extremely high heat, and is unlikely to undergo thermal expansion and contraction. The flexible board can also dissipate heat faster than other solutions, thereby increasing its thermal efficiency.
• Cost saving: Polyimide material is thin and light, and requires less space, which reduces packaging costs. Coupled with eliminating the high cost of wiring, wrapping and soldering, and reducing the number of components and wires on the board, testing and rework time can be reduced, thereby increasing productivity and efficiency.
Rigid PCB is a kind of printed circuit board and the largest number of PCBs manufactured. Rigid PCB is a circuit board built on a rigid base layer that cannot be bent. It is made of a solid substrate material, which can effectively prevent the circuit board from deforming.
There are many types of rigid PCBs, from simple single-layer PCBs to eight-layer or forty-layer multilayer PCBs. Rigid PCBs are cheaper than flexible PCBs. They are traditional PCBs and are widely used in many electronic products. Including audio keyboards, desktop devices, solid state drives, toys and many electronic products.
Maximum Panel size: 19.7" x 31.5"
Maximum Number of Layers: 1-40
Copper Thickness: 0.5 oz to 10.0 oz
Minimum Line Width: 3 mil
Minimum Line spacing: 3 mil
Smallest Hole: 0.004"
Blind, Buried and plugged Vias
Rigid-flex board, as the name implies, is a combination of soft board and hard board. It is a printed circuit board formed by ingeniously connecting a thin flexible bottom layer and a rigid bottom layer, and then laminating them into a single component. He changed the traditional planar design concept and expanded it to a three-dimensional three-dimensional space concept, bringing great convenience to the design of electronic products.
Among all types of PCBs, the combination of hardware and software is the most resistant to harsh application environments, so it is favored by industrial control, medical, and military equipment manufacturers.
Advantages of rigid-flex board:
1. The design of the rigid-flex board can use a single component to replace the composite printed circuit board connected by multiple connectors, multiple cables and ribbon cables, with stronger performance and higher stability.
2. The rigid-flex board has the characteristics of FPC and PCB at the same time. The rigid board provides stability, while the flexible board provides the flexibility required for installation in a small space. It saves the internal space of the product and reduces the volume of the finished product. Improving product performance is of great help.
3. Realize three-dimensional assembly, save assembly space, and make electronic products more compact and lighter.