As the name suggests, a multi-layer circuit board can be called a multi-layer circuit board with more than two layers, such as four layers, six layers, eight layers and so on. Of course, some designs are three-layer or five-layer circuits, also called multilayer PCB circuit boards.
For conductive traces larger than a two-layer board, there is an insulating base material between the layers. After each layer of circuit is printed, the circuit of each layer is overlapped by pressing. Then drill holes, and through holes are used to realize the conduction between the lines of each layer. The advantage of the multilayer PCB is that the lines can be distributed in multiple layers, so that more precise products can be designed. Or smaller products can be realized by multilayer boards. Such as: mobile phone circuit boards, micro projectors, voice recorders and other products with relatively large volumes. In addition, multi-layer can increase the flexibility of design, can better control the differential impedance and single-ended impedance, as well as the output of some signal frequencies.
Multilayer PCB are an inevitable product of the development of electronic technology in the direction of high speed, multi-function, large capacity and small volume. With the continuous development of electronic technology, especially the extensive and in-depth application of large-scale and very large-scale integrated circuits, multilayer printed circuits are rapidly developing in the direction of high density, high precision, and high-level digitalization. Fine lines and small apertures have appeared. , Blind hole buried hole high plate thickness aperture ratio and other technologies to meet the needs of the market.
Do you know the application fields of Multilayer PCB?
For many industries, Multilayer PCB have become the first choice for various applications. Much of this preference stems from the continuous promotion of mobility and functionality by all technologies. Multilayer PCB is a logical step in this process, which achieves greater functions while reducing size. As a result, they have become ubiquitous and have been used in many technologies.
1. Consumer electronics: Consumer electronics is a broad term used to cover various products used by the general public. This often includes products used daily, such as smartphones and microwave ovens. Each of these consumer electronic products contains PCBs, but more and more consumer electronic products use multilayer PCBs instead of standard single layers. Because consumers tend to like multifunctional gadgets and smart devices that are integrated with their lives.
2. Computer electronic products: All products from servers to motherboards use multilayer PCBs, mainly because they save space and have higher functions. In these applications, performance is one of the most basic characteristics of PCBs, and cost is relatively low in the priority list. Therefore, multilayer PCBs are an ideal solution for many technologies in this industry.
3. Telecommunications: Telecommunications equipment often uses multilayer PCBs in many conventional applications, such as signal transmission, GPS and satellite applications. The main reason is its durability and functionality. PCBs used for telecommunications applications are usually used in mobile devices or outdoor towers. In such applications, durability is essential, while still maintaining a high level of functionality.
4. Industrial: Multilayer PCBs are indeed more durable than several other options currently on the market, making them ideal for applications where rough handling may occur every day. Therefore, multilayer PCBs have become popular in several industrial applications, the most famous of which is industrial control. From industrial computers to control systems, multilayer PCBs are used to run machines throughout manufacturing and industrial applications, and are favored for their durability, small size, and functionality.
5. Medical equipment: Electronics is becoming an increasingly important part of the healthcare industry. From treatment to diagnosis, it plays a role in every corner of the electronics industry. Compared with single-layer alternatives, multilayer PCBs are particularly popular in the medical industry due to their small size, light weight and powerful functions. These benefits have led to the use of multilayer PCBs in modern X-ray equipment, heart monitors, CAT scanning equipment and medical PCB testing equipment.
6.Military and national defense: It is favored due to its durability, functionality and lightness. Multilayer PCBs are very useful in high-speed circuits, which has become an increasingly important issue in military applications. Due to the defense industry's trend toward highly compact engineering design, they are also favored because the small, multi-layer PCB leaves more space for other components to develop existing functions.
7. Cars: In the modern era, cars rely more and more on electronic components, especially with the rise of electric vehicles. From GPS and onboard computers to electronically controlled headlight switches and engine sensors, choosing the right components from car design is becoming more and more important. This is why many automakers have begun to prefer multilayer PCBs over other alternatives. Multilayer PCB is not only small and durable, but also has high function and relative heat resistance, which is very suitable for the internal environment of automobiles.
8. Aerospace: Like automobiles, jets and rockets rely heavily on electronic equipment in the modern era, all of which must be extremely precise. From the computers used on the ground to the computers used in the cockpit, aerospace PCB applications must be reliable, able to cope with the pressure of atmospheric travel, while leaving enough space for surrounding equipment. Multi-layer PCB is an ideal solution in this case. It has a large number of protective layers to prevent heat and external stress from damaging the connection, and has the ability to be made of flexible materials.